Community Food Hub
With the sale of part of the Pontfaen land to Aldi, the University aims to buy or rent a building in the heart of Lampeter that will operate as a community facility for activities related to the development and promotion of a resilient local food system.
The intention would be to work in collaboration with businesses and organisations in the town, the local FE colleges, Ysgol Bro Pedr and training agencies to develop a flexible resource that can host a range of activities related to local food in areas such as sustainability, nutrition, hospitality and economic development.
It is envisaged that the venue would providean opportunity for pop-up restaurant events that would allow chefs and food businesses locally and sometimes from further afield to showcase local produce.
The aims for this venue would include:
1. bringing the town and the university closer together and ensuring the Canolfan Tir Glas project has a presence in the town as it develops and grows;
2. offering a flexible and accessible resource for the community to come together in activities related to the development of a prosperous, sustainable and resilient local food economy;
3. providing a venue for food related short courses;
4. introducing the capacity to host pop-up food related businesses on a one off or short residency basis – providing a test-bed facility for new entrants into hospitality as well as bringing in acclaimed chefs from further afield to work with local produce;
5. acting as a catalyst for economic activity in the town and bringing an additional vibrancy to the town centre’s appeal as a place to visit, shop and enjoy leisure time;
6. developing and maintaining local networks in the fields of food and hospitality and providing a fertile space for the discussion and development of ideas in relation to contemporary issues and challenges related to food and its production